Ruben Dario

Friday, December 14, 2007

Who is Ruben Dario?


My Name is Felix Ruben Garcia Sarmiento best known as Ruben Dario. I was born in Metapa, Nicaragua on January 18, 1867. A year after I was born my parents got divorced and I was adopted and raised by my godfather Colonel Felix Ramirez. At a very early age I was nickname “The poet Child” I began reading at the age of 3 and by the age of 12 I was publishing my first poems. I named my first three poems “La Fe”, “Una Lagrima” and “ELDesngno”. In 1882 at the age of 15 I attempted to secure a scholarship to go overseas to study in Europe, I read my poem “El Libro”. Two Nicaraguan authorities including the president at the time Joaquin Zavala where present to watch read my first poem.
However, in the end my poems where considered too liberal for this reason I was denied the scholarship to study in Europe. Many of the officials present feared that a European education would only further encourage my anti-religious sentiments. Despite the critics opinions of my poem I didn’t have time to sit around so instead of going to Europe I traveled to El Salvador where I met the well known and respected poet, Francisco Gavidia. I had the pleasure of getting to know Mr. Gavidia in a personal level but most of all I had the privilege of having him as a professor. Ms. Gavidia introduced me to the rhythmic structure of French poetry. Which throughout the years has become the cornerstone of my revolutionary verse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home