Ruben Dario

Friday, December 14, 2007

As my life continues



When I was 19 years old I moved to Chile and I dabbled in journalism. That same year I wrote my first novel, Emelina, Which was unsuccessful. Nevertheless,
My poetry received praise in competitions. In Chile, I was confronted with prejudice and racism due to the dark complexion of my skin, compared to that of the European influenced Chileans. Despite my disillusionment and despondency, I continued to be prolific in my writing and published some more popular works such as Azul, "Otonales", and "Primeras Notas".
In 1890 at the age of 24, I married Rafaela Contreras and a year later while living in Costa Rica my son, Ruben Dario Contreras was born. After fleeing from a military coup, my family and I moved to Guatemala where I was recruited in 1892 to represent Nicaragua in festivity celebrating the four-century discovery of the New World. The following year my wife died and I drowned my sorrows in alcohol. Soon after, I involuntarily remarried my ex-girlfriend, Rosario Murillo. Rosario's brother lured me with sex and alcohol, and at gunpoint forced me to marry Rosario. Her brother found us in bed and arranged a marriage in order to restore his sister's honor and reputation. I, who had no recollection of the previous night, awoke the next morning with a hangover and a new wife. Although never divorced from Rosario, Dario fell in love with and lived with my mistress, Francisca Sanchez. In addition, I did not limit my sexual relationships to my wife and mistress and fathered several children, some whom died and others he never met. Throughout my life, I indulged in alcohol and women and I am notorious for immoderate lifestyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home