Ruben Dario

Friday, December 14, 2007

The rest of my life


In 1893, I was appointed consulate in Columbia by President Miguel Antonio Caro and traveled to Panama and Argentina. In 1896 I published "Los Raros" poems about other writers such as Poe, Lautreamont, and Ibse who I like to be and who I considered my "twin souls". Later that same year I published "Prosas Profanas", a book of poems, which documented my trademark rhythmic style and modernist approach. At 31, I worked for La Nacion, an Argentinean newspaper and I reported impression about the Spanish during its war with the United States. While still working as a poet and journalist, I was named Ambassador of Nicaragua in Paris in 1903. I wrote several poems that exalted my Latino origins and culture such as "Cantos de Vida y Esperanza" and "Viaje a Nicaragua e Intermezzo Tropical". I published my autobiography in 1912.
In 1914 I was honored in New York with a silver medal from the Hispanic Society of America. Later that year, I fell ill to pneumonia and recovered only to find myself financially bankrupt. Colombian poet and friend, Juan Arana had to beg in the streets of New York to support me. I also managed to collect money from friends in Buenos Aries and from the Nicaraguan government. The following year I returned to Nicaragua at the age of 49 ("Cronologia").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home